Friday, December 16, 2005

Power Outage Pork and Cabbage

Power out last night in an ice storm, so we were cooking by candlelight on the stovetop. Browned two thick pork chops in a dutch oven, added a cabbage, cored and cut in eight wedges. Poured a bottle of beer, a can of chicken stock over the top, seasoned with sal, pepper, caraway seed (not too much) and a T of good prepared mustard, covered and simmered for 40 minutes. Removed pork and cabbage and kept warm, while reducing the sauce.... I didn't do this quite as long as I might have liked, because I didn't really have a way to keep everything warm.

Hint: A little squeeze of ketchup is a good way to get a sauce to thicken.

I served this with a box couscous prepared with maybe half a teaspoon of curry powder.... some raisins would have been good in it if you like raisins in your couscous, which I do but my kids don't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home