Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Roast Beef II

Well, after the debacle at Christmas, I have been eager to try one of the slow oven roast beef recipes. I bought a small, 2 rib, 4 pound prime roast at Sam's Club, which for some reason has pretty good beef. Their hamburgers (the premade patties in the meat section, the frozen ones in the case are awful) are the some of the best hamburgers I have ever bought.

Borrowing from a couple of recipes, I did the following. Brought the meat up to room temperature all morning, seasoned it with some spice rub, put in a rack in a roaster in a preheated 350 oven for one hour, and turned the oven off. Left it there most of the afternoon. Before dinner, I turned the oven up to 300 and let it cook for 45 minutes, took it out and let it rest for another 30, while I tried to get the potatoes to cook, which turned out to be a problem (see next post).

And.... It worked, pretty much. The meat was rare, perhaps a little better done than we would have liked, but that just makes me realize a lot of us like our beef VERY rare rather than just rare. If I did it again I might cut that last phase down to 40 minutes... even 35. I wonder if it really works for ANY size piece of beef? Potatoes next post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home