Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Pork Roast Stuffed with Chorizo and Collards

This is kind of a casual recipe because (a) I'm not sure what the pork roast I used is called, and (b) It didn't really come out like I had planned... but it was good anyway. The roast was boneless but wasn't a loin, it was bigger around than that, it looked like a rib roast that had been cut from the bone. My idea was to stuff it, I had some chorizo,and I had seen some kale recipes. But Carol accidently brought home collards. Anyways...

Saute a coarsely chopped onion in olive oil, after maybe five minutes add the meat from two chorizo sausages removed from casing, maybe half a pound. Break up and brown. Season, it won't need much because the sausage is salty and spicy. Chop one bag of cut and washed collards coarsely, add to the pan with half a cup of water and cover until they wilt completely.

Slice the pork roast about half way down, the length of the roast, leaving an inch on either end so it forms a pocket. There should be much more filling than will fit, and besides it doesn't really have a stuffing consistency, it is more of a sauteed vegeteble feel. Make a bed with half the collard mixtute in a roasting pan just large enough for the roast. Place the roast on top of it and fill the cavity with more collards, letting them spill over. Pour the juice from the pan over the roast.

Roast in a 375 oven until a meat thermometer registers 160-170, maybe 45 minutes. My top layer of collards got crunchy and were very delicious. Remove the meet from the oven, let it cool a little, and cut into thick slices. Serve with collards on the side. I also served black beans and Rotel tomatoes, I think I already have that up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home